Sewing a fairy dress for Barbie
Here how to sew a cute fairy dress for a Barbie doll. Thanks to essential fairy accessories (hat and fairy wand
), this beautiful princess dress becomes the dress of an unique fairy.
Material for the top:
- 4 rectangles of fabric: 3 ½” x 1 ¾ ” (4.5cm x 9cm)
- Tulle for the sleeves: 2 rectangles 6” x 1 ½” ( 4cm x 15cm)
- Tulle to recover the top of the dress. 4 rectangles: 3 ½” x 1 ¾ ” (4.5cm x 9cm)
- 2 Ribbons for the sleeves 2 ¾” (7cm)
- 2 sew on snaps
Material for the bottom of the dress
- Lining of the the dress 6 ½” x 18 ½” (16cm x 47cm )
- Front fabric 14” x 8” (37cm x 20cm )
- Tulle 3 triangles : 9 ½” x 9 ½” x 5” (24cm x 24cm x 13cm )
Step 1: assemble the top of the dress
Take the rectangles and draw a mark on the top at 1” (2.5cm) from each side. Then draw a mark on the side at 2” (5cm) from the bottom on ech side
- Trace a line on each side from one point to another. Then sew the fabric folowing the lines.
Step 2: sew the sleeves
- Sew the tulle fabric on each piece of top fabric. Sew the hem on the back of the dress at the same time. For the front fabric just sew the V neck.
- Sew the two front fabrics together in the middle. Try it on the doll, so the V neck will fit perfectly to your doll.
- Sew the front and back fabric together on the shoulders
- Pick the top fabric face up. Pin the sleeves on it up to 1 ” (2cm) let the rest of the sleeve on the top. We will gather it to make a puffy sleeve.
- Sew the sleeves on the side folowing the pins. Then sew the rest by gathering to the top.
- Put the top on the doll reverse. Then pin on the side and sew the sides of the dress.
- Take the ribbon and sew it at the end of each sleeves by gathering the sleeves.
Step 3: finishing the top
Return the top and draw a line on the bottom at ¾” (2cm)from each side, then joining in a triangle on the front. (see picture)
- We will sew the top and the bottom fabric together folowing this line
Step 4: prepare the bottom of the dress
- Sew a hem on the bottom of the front fabric
- Sew a hem on the bottom of the lining.
- Then sew the two fabric together. Gather the lining to fit to the front fabric.
- Sew a hem on the side of each triangles
- Put the triangles on top of the frabric regularly, then sew them to the fabric.
Step 5: Sew the top and the bottom fabrics together
- Start by sewing the middle of the top fabric to the middle of the bottom fabric with a little sewing point. So you are sure that the fabrics are well aligned.
- Then sew each side folowing the line and gathering the fabric
Step 6: Finishing the dress
- Sew the dress on the back. Leave a little space on the top ½” (1.5cm), and sew a hem, so the doll can fit in the dress.
- Sew the sew on snaps
- Sew the decoration.
Creative sheet written by par